Chef Brian P. McCarthy
Vegan Turkey Roast
Yield: 8 servings
Also makes great sandwiches!
1 gallon water
2 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp thyme
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups vegetable broth*
1/4 cup light olive oil
1 tbsp soy sauce**
Cheesecloth (one double thick 24-inch by 16-inch piece)
2 6-inch pieces of string
1 batch uncooked stuffing (optional)
*If using the homemade vegetable broth, you may need to add salt to this recipe.
**Substitute Bragg liquid aminos if desired.
1) In a large pot, bring 1 gallon of water to a low boil.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten, yeast flakes, thyme, onion powder, and salt.
3) Add the vegetable broth, oil, and soy sauce, stir just until combined.
4) Form into a loaf shape.
5) Place gluten loaf on cheesecloth and roll up (not to tight). Tie each end with a piece of string.
6) Place in simmering water, covered, for 1 hour*** (2 hours for a double batch).
7) Preheat oven to 325.
8) Take roast out of water and remove cheesecloth. Place in baking dish with prepared stuffing, if desired.
9) Bake, covered, for 30 minutes.
*** Make stuffing while turkey is simmering in the water. Cook the stuffing in the baking dish with the turkey.
Variation: Vegan Turkey with Puff Pastry
After turkey is done boiling, remove it from the water and remove cheesecloth. Roll out a piece of puff pastry so that it will cover your turkey. Cover turkey with puff pastry. Brush puff pastry with a mixture of half ketchup and half water. Sprinkle with a little bit of thyme. Bake turkey, uncovered, at 400º F. for 25 minutes.
Copyright © 2008 Brian McCarthy