Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
This is the best combination of fruit in a dessert ever!
1 1/2 cups organic granulated sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
5 cups fresh sliced strawberries
3 cups sliced rhubarb
2 tbsp maple syrup
Pinch of salt
2/3 cup cold Earth Balance margarine or vegetable shortening
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup organic granulated sugar
2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
3 - 4 tbsp ice water
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Filling: In an oven-safe, deep skillet, mix together sugar and cornstarch. Add the rhubarb and strawberries, mixing until coated. Add a pinch of salt, maple syrup, mixing well.
3. Place skillet on stovetop over medium heat, and bring to a simmer. If necessary, reduce heat slightly to maintain simmer. Let fruit cook until glossy and thickened, stirring as needed, about 10 minutes.
4. Topping: In a large mixing bowl, add flour and Earth Balance. Using a pastry blender, cut margarine into the flour in pea-sized pieces. Gently stir in sugar, baking soda and salt. Add vanilla. Gradually add ice water, a tablespoon at a time, mixing until dough comes together.
5. Shape the dough into a log, and break into 8 to 10 pieces. Form small, flat biscuits and place them evenly over the top of the bubbling fruit. Transfer skillet to the preheated oven. If you do not have an oven-safe skillet, cast iron pot, or pan, transfer your filling into a 9x13 pan, placing the biscuits on top.
6. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until center is firm and biscuits are golden.
Copyright © 2008 Melissa Elliott