Preheat oven to 400°F
¾ cup lentils
1 ½ cups water, or more as needed
2 cups long grain rice
1 large onion
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp salt
3 cups water
1. Place the lentils and 1 ½ cups water in a microwave safe bowl. Place in microwave and set for 8 minutes on high. Rose says to watch for the water to be almost gone and the lentils to be tender yet crisp. This may take as long as 15-18 minutes, depending on your microwave and lentils. Just make sure to check it every couple of minutes if they take longer to cook.
2. Rinse the rice 3 times. Cover with water and set aside.
3. Chop the onion and sauté in the oil until golden brown.
4. Drain the rice and combine with the lentils and ½ of the sautéed onion in a casserole dish. Sprinkle in the salt and mix well. Add the remaining 3 cups water, stir then cover with a lid.
5. Bake the Majadra in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. Gently stir the rice mixture and bake for another 20 minutes, or until the rice and lentils are tender and the water is absorbed. If it's almost done at this point but not quite, turn the oven off and leave in until done (Rose says to look for a dry yet fluffy consistency). Remove from oven, gently stir, let cool a bit and serve!
Tip: This dish is wonderful right out of the oven. We also enjoyed it 2 days after we made it.
Recipe is from Rose Hassin and her arsenal of cooking favorites. Thanks for sharing Rose.