Brian Igarta The Maui Vegetarian
This Spanish style paella is incredibly delicious, easy to put together and quick to impress. Prepare using your favorite vegetables.
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 bay leaf
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1 1/2 cups uncooked Basmati rice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 vegetable bouillon
1/2 green bell pepper. chopped fine
1 tsp. tomato paste
1 small tomato, chopped fine
3 cups water
pinch of saffron
salt, to taste
1 sprig of fresh thyme & oregano
Vegetables such as carrots, baby corn, zucchini, yellow squash, small diced potatoes, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
1. Saute onion, garlic and bell pepper in olive oil until softened.
2. Add tomato and saffron and saute for another minute.
3. Add herbs, bay leaf and rice, mixing and thoroughly coating the rice.
4. Combine bouillon, tomato paste and water, bringing to a boil.
5. Add salt and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until nearly done. Top with blanched vegetables and continue to simmer until rice is tender. Serve with garlic-cashew sauce (video) drizzled over paella.