Preheat oven to 350°F
Two baking sheets lined with Silpats or parchment paper
Makes 8 to 10 sandwich cookies
1 cup plain soymilk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch process dark cocoa powder, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup margarine (such as Earth Balance)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp Vegan “sour cream”
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
3 tbsp plain soymilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Cookies: In a small bowl, whisk together the soymilk and vinegar and set aside, allowing the mixture time to curdle. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. Over in your stand mixer, cream together the margarine and both sugars, beating to ensure that the contents of the bowl are creamy and fully combined. Add the “sour cream” and mix again until smooth.
3. Returning to the now curdled soymilk, whisk in the vanilla. Beginning with the wet ingredients, alternately add them with the dry ingredients into your mixer. Scrape down the sides as necessary, and beat the mixture just enough to fully combine.
4. Use an ice cream scoop or measuring cup to drop 3 to 4 tablespoons of dough at a time onto the prepared baking sheets. Leave a good amount of space between each cookie, about 2 inches, allowing them room to spread a bit. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes, until they crackle slightly on top. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool completely on the baking sheets where they should firm up a bit more.
5. Filling: To make the filling, begin with the mixer on low and beat together the confectioner’s sugar and shortening. Add the soymilk, and finally the vanilla. Once the sugar has become incorporated, turn the mixer up to high and whip for a good 2 to 3 minutes; this will incorporate more air, making for a lighter, fluffier filling.
6. Drop or pipe a healthy dollop of the crème mixture onto the flat side of one cooled cookie, and place a second cookie on top. Press down gently to bring the filling right out to the edge. Repeat this process with the remaining cookies and crème filling.
Recipe adapted from MY SWEET VEGAN, by Hannah Kaminsky, 2007, Copyright © Fleming Ink