Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
- 8 apples (such as Granny Smith or McIntosh), peeled, cored and chopped or sliced
- ¼ cup apple juice, or more as needed
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
- Ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg (preferably freshly ground)
- ¼ cup brown sugar, or to taste
- In a large pot, combine apples and juice and cook over medium heat, partially covered, until apples are very tender. Remove pot from heat.
- Using a wooden spoon or potato masher, mash apples well. Add spices and sugar to taste. If applesauce is too thick, add a splash of apple juice to thin slightly.