Miyoko Shinner gives us a first hand approach on making an incredible vegan mozzarella that is tasty and very versatile. This recipe is from her cookbook Artisan Vegan Cheese.
- ½ cup Rich Soy Milk (page XX), Almond Milk (page XX), Oat Milk (page XX), or commercial non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cups refined coconut oil (don’t use extra virgin, or it will taste like coconuts!), measured after melting
- ¼ cup liquid oil – canola, grapeseed, or olive
- 2 teaspoons liquid lecithin
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and process at a medium speed for about one minute.
- Pour into a container of your choice – something made of silicon is great, as it will pop out easily, but any storage container will do (line it with wax paper first for easy removal).
- Set it in the refrigerator for a few hours until hard.
Really Hard Butter (for puff pastry, croissants, etc.):
- Replace ¼ cup of melted coconut oil with ¼ cup melted cocoa butter. Reduce liquid oil by 1 tablespoon. Or you can just decrease the oil by 2 tablespoons.
- Whipped Butter
- Increase the liquid oil by one tablespoon, and process at high speed in the blender for about 2 minutes to incorporate as much air as possible.
- Unsalted Butter(for buttercreams and some desserts)
- Don’t add any salt!