Makini Howell from Settle’s Plum Bistro stopped by our kitchen and showed us how she prepares this salad by grabbing things from the pantry and refrigerator. We learned a lot. This recipe is out of Makini’s cookbook called Plum. If you want to make the salad shown on the video omit the millet and add hemp seeds, or do it Makini”s way and just see whats in your pantry!
The recipe in the Quinoa Salad video is a adaptation of this Quinoa-Millet Cherry Salad in Makini Howell’s cookbook Plum.
Next time you are in Seattle be sure to visit her at her renowned restaurant Seattle’s Plum Bistro.
- ½ cup millet
- ½ cup quinoa
- ¼ cup almonds
- 8 ounces fresh cherries, pitted and cut in a mix of halves or quarters
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- Juice of medium lime
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, stemmed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 3 to 4 mint leaves
- Mix the millet and quinoa in a large bowl. Rinse the grains several times under running water, rubbing them together with your fingers, until the water stops foaming and runs clear.
- To cook the grains to the texture I think is ideal, where they won’t stick together, put 6 cups of water in a large saucepan. Add the grains, bring the water to a boil, and cook until the millet softens and the quinoa pops and forms little tails at the end, about 15 to 20 minutes. Pour the cooked grains through a strainer being very careful that the hot water doesn’t burn you: there may be a cup of water remaining. If you’ll be serving the salad cold, chill the grains in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve them.
- Heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Put in the almonds and roast for a few minutes, tossing or stirring frequently, until nuts are fragrant and lightly browned. Let the almonds cool before using.
- When the almonds are cool enough to handle, coarsely chop them and put them in a large bowl, along with the cherries, onions, jalapeno, lime juice and cilantro. Add the grains and combine. Garnish with the mint.
Copyright 2013 by Makini Howell