Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons soymilk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal, preferably golden
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup nondairy semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat silicone baking mats.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, beat together the brown sugar, oil, soymilk, flax meal and vanilla until smooth. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, stirring just until mixed. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter onto the prepared baking sheets, 2-inchs apart. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Remove the trays from the oven and place on a rack to cool completely.
Gluten Free flour recipe
- 3/4 cup sweet white sorghum flour (such as Bob’s Red Mill) or superfine brown rice flour (such as Authentic Foods)
- 3 tablespoons potato starch
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour/starch
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- In a bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together and add to the cookie recipe in place of the wheat flour.